F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 15:56:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 17:28 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Robert Marcano wrote:
> > yes, It is bad design, If you have a very common key combination that
> > a lot of people knows, (I am talking about Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the
> > login prompt on Windows)
>
> This is not Window$.
>
> Ctrl+Alt+Del shouldn't be expected to do anything other than reboot on
> GNU/Linux. (And FWIW, I think the Ctrl+Alt+Del reboot should also be
> enabled in X11.)

What about on a sparc system, or an ARM board or legacy 68k machine?
What about systems that don't even have those keys?

I'm not really sure I understand why a key combination that happens to
be meaningful to the firmware of the IBM PC should get special status as
"just reboot" in projects that are designed to run on a much wider range
of systems.

Regards,
Bryn.