question about git workflow

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 23:40:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:42:02 +0200, Christoph Höger <choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> I am getting used to using git while working with upstream projects. So
> when I try to make a patch available upstream, I encounter the following
> problem: I want to make small commits during my work but of course send
> the result as a single patch via git format-patch. So what's best:

I just go the caveman way and do
git diff origin master > ../x.diff

> And the final question: When I got to the point of sending one single
> patch and upstream merges it, how can I resync with upstream without
> having to clone again?

Sure, I always do  git pull.  If a conflict occurs, I do this
 - Edit conflicts so the code looks good (using git status to remind
   what's left, and then vi, /, >>> Enter ).
 - make check  # just see how I'm doing
 - git commit -a
   This thing posts this scary message "oh you're committing a MERGE,
   the sky is falling!" inside the commit template. Just do :wq
   and let it commit
In my experience, git merges pretty well. However, I need to watch
out for an occasional double-patch when upstream rearranges chunks.
In C, all functions look the same with 3-line context.

-- Pete