Abandon "Default Desktop"

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sat May 2 18:03:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> I already explained that, we're circling *again*. The problem is that
>> when you ask someone to make a choice without understanding the options,
>> it tends to frustrate them. This is a well-observed phenomenon in all
>> circles, certainly including computer user interface design.
>
> This would just be one single choice, and a choice a sizable portion of our
> userbase wants to make (even those who happen to use Fedora's current
> defaults: ask them around how they'd react if Fedora would install KDE by
> default and making it a complex hunt of checkboxes to select GNOME instead,
> also by making all the use-case-specific groups default to KDE apps and
> having the GNOME equivalents part of the GNOME group instead; yet that's
> exactly what's done right now, except with GNOME<->KDE switched around).
> The current solution is highly inconvenient. I can only really recommend
> the KDE live spin for KDE users. Sadly, that one is hidden behind a small
> link on the default download page, with the default download not even
> containing KDE at all.

I'm not sure if it is my fault, but when I click on that "KDE fans, go
here" link, I can't find the link to the live KDE spin image for
x86_64. There is only one link for x86 image. I had to browse through
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/ to find the x86_64
image. Is this intentional?

I respect the love for Gnome, and its simplicity. But I find Gnome
simply ugly (sorry, this is the best one-word I could find). I don't
believe that KDE is being treated fairly on the Fedora until you
install it.

Orcan