The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun May 3 17:56:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 21:12 +0800, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:

> >> modest (productive)

> >> kaffeine
> >> way
> >> basically
> >> of
> >> core
> >> PA.
> >> top

> >> PA takes ~10% CPU to
> >> lot of work - say
> >> (yes, generic)
> >>>
> >> Maybe its a difference between xine and gstreamer?
> >>
> >> % lspci | grep -i audio
> >> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10
> >> Family) HD Audio Controller
> >
> > Check your logs. This is quite possibly the difference between "My
> > hardware does 44.1khz natively" and "My hardware only does 48000khz and
> > playing anything but a DVD requires resampling". Later Intel chipsets
> > all seem to be the latter.
> >
> Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I also have a huge
> CPU hit on my 4+ year old laptop, and I am sure that it handles
> different sampling rates without much difficulty.
>
> So, my question is, what logs can I check to find out if this is
> happening (if I understood the message correctly)?

Hrm, pulseaudio's logging seems to have changed. You can try running
"pulseaudio -k;pulseaudio -v" then dig through the spew:

I: alsa-util.c: Device hw:M5455,0 doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to
48000 Hz.
I: alsa-sink.c: Successfully opened device hw:M5455,0.

If you see something like that, your hardware requires resampling.