Abandon "Default Desktop"

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 4 16:37:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 09:04 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>> (except that you get Firefox as your browser if you choose GNOME, whereas
>>> the official default browser of GNOME is Epiphany).
>>
>> This is one of the reasons why it's not the Gnome spin, it's the Fedora
>> Desktop spin.  If somebody wanted to make a GNOME spin that highlighted
>> the best of the GNOME world and GNOME only, they could.
>>

> Some entirely observational, non-scientific and quite possibly
> coincidental statistics: In my department (Physics) we have RHEL and
> Windows on the lab computers right now. Also since this is a Physics
> department, there is a significant proportion of Linux users (grad
> students, postdocs, professors, administrators), who use different
> flavors of Linux on their personal computers.
>
> I have only seen 1 person in the last 7 years that I have spent here,
> using Gnome. The rest uses KDE (even in the lab on RHEL computers) or
> Windows.
>
> Is this really coincidence? Are we (KDE users) really the minority?
>
> Orcan, one of  "Them strange physicists..."

I was the head sysadmin for a physics dept for 6 yrs. We had a lot of
linux users. In fact, the majority of the dept used linux on the desktop.

They used whatever was the default when they hit enter at the xdm/gdm/etc
prompt.

and that's what they stuck with unless they had some compelling reason to
do otherwise.

so, there you go, my anecdotal experience offsets yours.

ta-da!

-sv