FESco meeting summary for 20090507

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Sun May 10 15:44:50 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What happened to this https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/142 ?

Sorry about that, as I mentioned in the ticket, entirely my fault this
didn't get brought up :(

Anyhow, the concerns that I have about this is as Paul noted in the
ticket, what happens if someone  downloads this now more visible
x86_64 release and finds that it doesn't boot their computer?  I sense
a lot of "man, this Fedora thing SUCKS!".

Moreover, with the new architecture support feature in F11, we're now
supposedly defaulting to an x86_64 kernel on an i686 install if the
processor supports it (note that I say supposedly because I've not
personally tested it).  Thus you have an x86_64 kernel, and all of the
goodness that brings, but you still have an i686 userspace.

Also, keep in mind that while x86_64 hardware is quite common in the
US and Western Europe (perhaps to a lesser extent there than the US,
even), there are many parts of the world where that is not common, and
folks would have to go find the i686 version to download.

Just my $0.02 and food for thought,
-Jon