Update -> b0rken eclipse

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Sun May 10 19:59:27 UTC 2009

2009/5/10 Andrew Overholt <overholt at redhat.com>:
> * Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> [2009-05-09 18:26]:
>>
>> But meanwhile I tried using the Native version (which didn't work right
>
> We don't ship gcj .so files anymore and haven't for a while so it's not
> really "the Native version" :)  Unless you mean "the packaged version".
>
>> until recently), and after some pain (the Software Updates... feature
>> is just horrible!) I managed to get WTP (Web Tools Project installed)
>> and make it usable.
>
> How is the Update Manager any better in upstream's version?  We do not
> differ at all.

I think the issue he is reffering to is that when you use the upstream
version and install in your home folder for example all updates/addons
are installed into that folder too and all works as expected but if
you use the fedora version the rpm versions are installed in system
and addons from update center are installed in home folder. result is
that it is difficult to update addons that are rpm installed and
combined with strict version dependencies from other addons it makes
it difficult if not impossible to install some additional addons.
Having said that I havent really had many issues like that recently.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...