182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon May 11 15:46:48 UTC 2009

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2009 05:27:55 +0200, Ralf wrote:
>
>> Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> No.
>> I strongly disagree. Adding "stable" packages to stable is the primary
>> interest contributors are after. It's the #1 reason, why Fedora Extras
>> one had been launched.
>
> Cool down and slow down, at least a bit, please.

Why should I? Openly said, Fedora 11's development develops in ways, I
think it would be appropriate to demand personal consequences in
Fedora's management.

> This is about not skipping updates-testing. This is about offering them at
> least a few days in updates-testing, so the community may contribute
> actual testing.

* Fact is: In the overwhelming majority of all cases, testing is
effectively a delay queue, and a PITA to developers.

* Fact also is: "Testing" doesn't help wrt. packagers doing a poor job.

* Fact also is: "Testing" occasionally is the cause of broken package deps.

> Fact is that one packager plus one reviewer are not enough
> to ensure that new packages really work good enough to call them "stable"
> for one or more dist targets.
So you are demanding for even more bureaucracy and for more @RH deitism?
This would be truely silly.

>> What destabilizes Fedora is Fedora being based on insufficiently stable
>> SW, not "new packages".
>
> Agreed, but that's a different topic.

IMO, this would be the topic to discuss! Many of the packages, esp.
those for which the upstreams are sitting in or near Fedora, IMO should
never have been unleashed in Fedora, ...

 > Poor updates also create chaos
> in buildroots. We've had issues like that already during Fedora Extras.
As far as I am concerned, it's this freaking freeze and run-down shape
the fedora repso currently is in, which is causing the mess.

Ralf