SPARC Status (Was Re: Secondary Architecture Status?)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 11 19:55:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 14:51 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

> I would really like to see a proliferation of secondary arches in
> Fedora, but I don't think 'workstation' is a viable usage model for
> them to get started.  Most will have to focus on the type of hardware
> that actually sells for that arch, and yes I realize that can be at
> odds with some of the directions Fedora is going.

Semi-sidetrack here: Ubuntu has a secondary 'architecture' called LPIA
which is, in fact, just an alternative set of compiler optimizations
which they claim results in better code for 'netbook
systems' (presumably meaning 'Atom CPUs'). Would that be something we
could look into, or not interesting?

Reference: http://lwn.net/Articles/247003/
--
Adam Williamson