OpenOffice 3.1

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon May 11 22:05:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 23:57 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> 4. the major feature release or rewrite, e.g. KDE 3 -> 4, Amarok 1 -> 2
> etc. – those come with known feature and stability/reliability regressions
> make absolutely no sense to push as a stable update to a released distro!
> (Of course there are some project releasing "new major versions" which are
> not of that type, but in that case they should be handled like "minor
> feature releases" above. But e.g. Amarok 2 is most definitely a major
> feature release with significant code rewriting.)

The problem I think we're having is that while KDE may use sane numbers
to represent these 4 classes, not all upstreams do.  But users see KDE
do a a.b.n to a.b.n+1 or even a.b to a.b+1 and think that it's OK to do
that with their software too, even though their upstream may do massive
feature changes between a.b and a.b+1.

Basically trying to insert numbers anywhere in this discussion is going
to fail, and we have to stick to concepts like you outlined.  For what
its worth, I agree with the 4 classes and which are appropriate or not.
Unfortunately I don't think everybody agrees.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!