Fedora (Linux) is Destroying it self

Michael Nielsen mike at thetroubleshooters.dk
Tue May 12 09:39:21 UTC 2009

drago01 wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Michael Nielsen
> <mike at thetroubleshooters.dk> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> 3. Mounts are also embedded into the user interface, rather than in the unix
>> mount system, which means that the shares are not accessible for non-gui
>> programs, for instance, I like to script most thing I do often, however,
>> there is no way for scripts to get a hold of a drive that is mounted through
>> the gui mount system (kde and gnome).
>>

> This is not true, in case of gnome you can access everything mounted
> by nautilus / gvfs by accessing ~/.gvfs works with ANY app.

I was not aware of this, as it is not obvious, and poorly documented - I
have searched for info on
this, however I have noticed the mounts, when running the mount command,
however it is not
clear if the names remain consistent.

And why make the mounts hidden ?  ( leading . hides the directory),
seems highly illogical approach.