182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue May 12 16:05:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 17:59 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Which does nothing to help the upgrade and n-v-r case.
> Only if "updates" is not activated upon installation.

Anaconda doesn't support this, and even if it did, network isn't always
available to people when doing the upgrade.

> >> There would be times where it hardly would be used, but there can easily
> >> be times, when it would be heavily used (e.g. there currently is a
> >> proposal pending which would severely change perl's behavior (perl
> >> module search order and file system layout), with currently unclear
> >> outcome).
> >
> > How would one choose to use it?
>
> Similar to "updates-testing"
> yum install --enable-repo=rawhide-testing "package-i-want-to-test"
> etc.

I meant how would a maintainer choose to use rawhide-testing as opposed
to pure rawhide.  Would they have to specifically craft a make build
command with a TARGET= ?

> >  Why would anyone choose to use bodhi if
> > they were allowed to build directly into rawhide?
> You mean to push a package to rawhide-testing instead of rawhide?
>
> Primary reason: Because the maintainer is aware about his package
> containing some "nasty"/"adventurous"/"dangerous"/"experimental"
> etc. changes/bugfixes, with unclear outcome and him wanting to avoid
> destabilizing the distro.
>
> > Should we force the
> > use of bodhi during freezes, and make it optional otherwise?
> IMO, maintainers need _one_ single package submission UI, which should
> be used on all occasional/in all phases of development.
>
> ATM, this would mean making bodhi mandatory and to get rid of trac etc.

My point was when do we force the use of bodhi.  I would think if we
forced the use of bodhi for every single package build ever we'd create
a riot of angry maintainers.

I agree with you that having both trac and bodhi is non-optional.  We
just didn't have the time/manpower to develop bodhi to a point where it
could be used to drive freeze break requests.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!