Update -> no sound

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue May 12 16:55:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, 12.05.09 12:38, Dimi Paun (dimi at lattica.com) wrote:

> This time I can get no sound of Firefox or Rhythmbox,
> despite PA running in the background.
>
> Somehow I now have 2 PA instances:
>
> [dimi at dimi ~]$ ps aux | grep pulseaudio
> gdm       2547  0.0  0.1 101032  4240 ?        Ssl  May09   0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
> dimi      2699  1.0  0.4 170960 17604 ?        R<sl May09  43:42 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
> dimi     30180  0.0  0.0   4208   732 pts/5    S+   11:35   0:00 grep pulseaudio
>
> I don't seem to get working sound for more than
> 2 days in a row. Folks, I don't do anything
> non-standard.

fedora-devel is not a bug tracking system.

Please file a bug about this. And please provide a proper description
what is going on. Something more than "doesn't work" or "no sound".

> I am asking again: is this normal rate of problems?
> Filing a good bug report (after trying to diagnose
> the problem) took me 1h+ last time, I just can't keep
> doing that in the middle of my work day.
>
> A few more notes:
>   - I said that PA doesn't restart if killed. I was wrong.
>     It does, except that Flash doesn't reconnect. However,
>     Rhythmbox does reconnect, and I tested that several times.
>     Now even it doesn't want to work

Flash is closed source sw, we cannot fix that.

>   - I did an Update, but I didn't reboot or restart. However,
>     my gut is telling me this is not related to the update,
>     but rather with another PA failure. I got an error about
>     some "Stream too big" or somesuch.

There is no such error in PA. Please file a bug and include an exact
description of the error message.

>   - The PA volume control shows Firefox connected, but I
>     get no sound. However, I can't see Rhythmbox.
>
> P.S. After killing the PA instance owned by me (dimi), I
> got sound again out of Rhythmbox.

Have you reconfigured the default gst disk? You need to make sure that
"pulsesink" is the default sink. If you configure it to something else
it's your own fault fi things don't work as expected anymore.

Use gconf-editor and look in /system/gstreamer/0.10/default.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net