Downgrading Firefox 3.5 and Thunderbird 3.0

Nathan Grennan fedora-devel-list at cygnusx-1.org
Tue May 12 21:32:10 UTC 2009

On 05/12/2009 02:21 PM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On 05/12/09 21:20, Nathan Grennan wrote:
>> On 05/12/2009 11:46 AM, Julian Sikorski wrote:
>>> Afaik fetching whole messages (as opposed to headers) for IMAP accounts
>>> was an upstream decision.
>>
>> I understand, but on the other hand does Fedora want a dozen bug reports
>> over Thunderbird being useless, because of a crappy default?
>
> Well, imap-over-slow-internet-links without aggressive local caching
> just doesn't fly. I really like the new 3.0beta behavior.
>
> /me used the good old SyncOnArrival extention before (with hacked
> version check so the 1.5 version works with 2.0 ...).

   Different usage patterns are at play. I do imap over fast internet
connections, but then internet would be slow compared to during it
across a LAN. I would think your folders aren't that big, because
syncing huge folders would be horrible. Another thing that may be at
play is the switch of the default from no sync to sync. So I didn't use
syncing before, and so it wasn't a little at a time. Instead it was
gigabytes all at once. Plus tens of thousands of messages at once.