Breaking deps deliberately

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu May 14 09:28:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 01:37:48AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 03:28:53PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >> Do any other distributions purposefully add broken dependencies to their
> >> repositories (So that you wouldn't be able to install it without
> >> pointing at a second source for a package)?
> >
> > Debian allows them,
> Where is the documentation of this policy?  because...
>
> > and they have a special program called 'equivs'
> > which you can use to locally compile packages in order to satisfy such
> > broken dependencies:
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html
> >
> This just explains how the equivs command works and how a user can use
> it if they've installed a piece of software from outside the packaging
> system and then want to list it as being available to the package manager.

This is getting a bit off-topic, but anyhow ...

The Debian Reference Manual suggests using equivs:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-apt-trouble

The Debian Policy Manual contains explicit rules about broken
dependencies here:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-sections

As you can see, in Debian's main repository they explicitly disallow
broken deps for certain types of deps, but Debian has quite a complex
dependency system, so this doesn't apply for things like "Suggests"
and "Enhances".  BTW "Recommends" was added to the above list in
Debian Lenny - previous releases of Debian allowed main packages to
Recommend packages outside main.

Anyway, I think my point is not that we should care about what Debian
does, but that we should make what is and isn't allowed explicit in
the Fedora packaging guidelines.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/