Breaking deps deliberately

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu May 14 10:54:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 03:43:01AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> In Fedora the Packaging Guidelines and Packaging Committee are
> responsible for defining the "technical requirements that each package
> must satisfy".  But the rest of this, in particular the "structure and
> contents of the" archive, is the responsibility of FESCo, releng, the
> Board, and the policy pages that they create.  Defining whether a
> package is allowed to depend on something that cannot be satisfied from
> the repositories for that distribution is a decision about the contents
> of the repositories.  That should be defined in a FESCo Policy page.
> Others have pointed you at multiple places where the distro policy
> states that unresolvable deps are not okay.  If you think those are
> insufficient you probably want to come up with something for FESCo to
> state that would clarify that.

It sounds like what we need is a FESCo policy in that case.

However you're going to have to help me out here, because I can't find
any FESCo "policy pages" except for one about elections and other
about package maintainers.  I'm quite probably looking in entirely the
wrong place.  This was my Google search:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Afedoraproject.org+fesco+policy

[I just found another one on about new Features]

What are the steps I should take to propose a policy?  I already
created a trac ticket:

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/147

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v