Sound doesn't work, again!

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun May 17 21:58:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 02:35 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:

> Look, I know I'm frustrated. You would be too when you
>   - run bog-standard hardware
>   - run non-patched, as pristine as possible version of Fedora
>   - you spend ~1h almost daily to get sound out of Flash, Skype,
>     Rhythmbox, etc, sound that you just fixed, and it stopped
>     working out of the blue. Almost daily!

Seriously, just remove PulseAudio. It was the only way I could get sound
to work reliably in F-10, and after persevering for a while I think I'm
going to have to give up and do that in F-11 too. I often just get no
sound at all from xine, and when I do it's often skipping a huge amount.

I _would_ probably continue to persevere, but I want to update my
father's laptop to F-11, and there's no way I can give him a machine
with PulseAudio on it right now. It's just not ready for production use,
in my opinion. So I should make my machine match his -- and enjoy having
reliably functioning audio again.

Unfortunately, in F-11 it's slightly more complicated to remove PA than
it was in F-10. Now you have to cope with the fact that 'yum remove
pulseaudio' also wants to strip all Bluetooth support from the system.
Apparently you are _expected_ to drink the Kool-Aid...

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation