Package Maintainers Flags policy

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Tue May 19 14:47:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:25:23AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> A list of current countries doesn't solve the problem.  Let's take for
> example Freeciv, which was cited earlier as having flags as a core
> part of the experience (I'd disagree, but anyways).

The problem with FreeCiv is that the only distinction between a city or
unit of one nation and one of another is the flag[1], so there doesn't
seem to be any simple way to remove them. They could be replaced with
different flags graphics, but they'd all have to be distinct; you
couldn't just use (e.g.) the Fedora logo for every nation.

There's also the fact that FreeCiv in particular contains Tibet as a
playable nation; even if the flag were removed, I don't think refering
to the Tibetan nation would pass muster in China. That being the case
we're either going to need to go a lot further than removing just flags,
or accept that generic Fedora won't be 'China safe', in which case we
might as well leave the flags alone.

Ewan

[1] e.g: <http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/File:Big_window.png