Package Maintainers Flags policy

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 19 20:29:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 09:09 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> In FESCo's 2009-03-28 meeting a policy on Flag usage for packages in
> Fedora was approved.
>
> Due to an oversight, this policy was not announced here. ;(
>
> Please see:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Maintainers_Flags_Policy
>
> and direct any comments to FESCo in a ticket or via the devel list.

I can see both sides of the argument that has proceeded from this
policy, but as a data point:

if my personal inclinations are any indication, I would say this policy
will likely have a freezing effect on contributions to Fedora if fully
adopted. I do intend to get involved in packaging a few things for
Fedora in future, but I certainly don't intend to go to the trouble of
carrying patches to remove flags for eternity, so I would just not
consider packaging any software which included proscribed images (and
would immediately orphan any package I maintained if any proscribed
images were added to it, or if someone pointed out that it had some that
I'd missed).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey