Package Maintainers Flags policy

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue May 19 22:36:21 UTC 2009

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> * If a package is on the main spin (or required by something on the main
> spin in the case of updates that pull in different packages)

Which one? There are 3 primary spins.

> * This ties the policy to the existence of a "main spin".  I don't
> believe there's serious plans to get rid of that but if we do, this
> policy will need to be revised.

There is already no one main spin, there's the "Desktop" (GNOME) Live CD and
there's the installer DVD, both of which are "the main" to some people, and
there's the KDE Live CD.

Now I wouldn't object to only banning flags from the GNOME Live image
because that means we could ship them in KDE packages. ;-) But I'd disagree
in at least 2 ways with the rationale for that decision (censoring flags in
the first place and considering only GNOME a first-class citizen).

        Kevin Kofler