Package Maintainers Flags policy

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue May 19 22:51:11 UTC 2009

Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:
> It is for some packages. I can't see any sane way to package FreeCiv,
> for example, without using flags. At that point, do we just accept the
> package (Tibettan nation and flag and all) or drop perfectly good Free
> software from the distribution?

A non-game example would be an application to teach geography. That clearly
has concrete educational value. But even if you remove the Taiwanese flag,
you still end up with Taiwan shown as a country. Now if you patch the app
to consider it part of China, how's that not a political stand (and very
likely to offend people in Taiwan, too)? Are we now banned from teaching
our children geography?

        Kevin Kofler