In which country should Fedora be legal?

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Wed May 20 09:10:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> Patrice Dumas (pertusus at free.fr) said:
> > I think that the flag policy is the wrong way to look at a real issue.
> > First, it tries to solve 2 issues
> > 1. being legal in some countries
> > 2. avoid pissing people
> >
> > I think that the second issue should be brought upstream and not solved
> > at the Fedora level.
>
> Too late. We already remove content from various packages where necessary,
> as stated earlier in the thread.

True, but a touch disingenuous: as a project of a US company, we remove
content where it is illegal for a company registered under the laws of the
State of North Carolina or the United States to distribute (e.g.
patent-violating *cough*mp3*cough* code, or, until recently, strong
encryption).  The "flags policy" is totally different; that is, it requires
the removal of content that may or may not be illegal to distribute under
the laws of some other jurisdiction somewhere in the world.  Any
jurisdiction.  Anywhere.

                             -Chris

--
Chris Weyl