Package Maintainers Flags policy

Jukka Ruohonen jruohonen at iki.fi
Thu May 21 06:30:07 UTC 2009

On 20.05.2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I really don't know what the best solution for those issues would be. Better
> communication of platforms, goals etc.? Forming factions/parties so we
> could vote e.g. for KDE SIG? Direct democracy as practiced in Debian? (But
> I'm not sure any of those really works, Debian's votes have often been
> total chaos, parties probably don't work for such small committees where
> there would be just 1 or 2 members of each party, most likely voting for
> their own position rather than the official party line more often than not,
> better communication probably doesn't solve the whole problem.)

I usually try to stay away from threads like this. With that excuse: I
really hope this does not increase bureaucracy. There are hardly any
examples where a bureaucratic/democractic governance model would have had
any real positive impact on open source projects, quite the contrary. When
policies start to matter more than technical questions, you are already
lost.

Personally, I would rather give FESCo more power. Perhaps this could at
least end the shouting contest that Fedora developer mailing list has
become.

Two cents from a Fedora user,

Jukka.