I must be doing something seriously wrong...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 21 18:36:25 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 18:11 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > If China was the problem, why not name names here? (or even better in
> > the policy itself)
>
> Probably because RHT and then spot/FESCo didn't want to single this out
> as a "China" policy, as that would almost seem as siding with China on
> the debate, rather than withdrawing from the debate entirely.

This is, however, not convincing. Even if you convert it to a general
policy - "no flags!" - and try to present it as "wellll, flags are just
a dicey issue in general", everyone knows that it would never have come
up as a live issue unless China were known to be not exactly keen on
Taiwanese / Tibetan flags. We've discussed the complementary issues of
other countries with other flags, but I sincerely doubt we would have
come up with an invasive, distro-wide policy like this in response to,
e.g., Germany's ban on the Nazi flag, or American sensibilities about
Confederate flags, or anything like that. China is the elephant in the
room, here. I agree with Christoph - this policy is essentially about
China, and that needs to be openly and clearly discussed.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey