I must be doing something seriously wrong...

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Thu May 21 19:03:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>> China is the elephant in the
>> room, here. I agree with Christoph - this policy is essentially about
>> China, and that needs to be openly and clearly discussed.

We could do a reduction to the absurd here.

You have an idea of the legal freedom to use Fedora, as long as you
meet the legal criteria to distribute it in China.

But if China has the ability to set the terms under which you
distribute Fedora, it is not inconceivable that they could also
arbitrarily limit the freedom to use Fedora itself.

China never said it agreed with Fedora's goals, and trying to adapt
Fedora to meet China's criteria could work well, or it could be a
futile effort that China could easily reject on its own in the end,
for just as arbitrary reasons as restricting flags and art.

(I don't mean to be disagreeable -- I actually think the flag decision
was pragmatic, and understandable --  but I think I have some logical
point here.  If you are trying to strike a compromise with an
arbitrary standard, you can never be quite sure about the body you're
negotiating with.  Maybe you could be sure enough though, that Fedora
in China would be successful.  Something to keep in mind.)