I must be doing something seriously wrong...

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu May 21 20:35:58 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 21.05.2009, 13:07 -0400 schrieb Josh Boyer:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 06:11:22PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >Am Donnerstag, den 21.05.2009, 08:46 -0400 schrieb Josh Boyer:
> >> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 02:20:52PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >> [snipped]

> >> It doesn't sound particularly harsh, but I wonder what privileges you think
> >> you get when you are in FESCo?
> >
> >As a FESCo member you are to decide over the direction that Fedora
> >takes, this is the biggest privilege I can think of inside a FOSS
> >project.
>
> 1) Yes, I do consider that a privilege.  It is also a burden :)
>
> 2) Mostly we vote on policies and proposals and Features that the fedora
> contributors submit.  So while FESCo approves those, the direction that Fedora
> takes is almost entirely driven by those submissions.

Correct me if I'm wrong: A good number of proposals are made by people
who are also in FESCo, right?

Also I've got a notion that FESCo recently approves more and more
proposals without asking the community for opinions first and even in
opposition to the community.

> >I think Toshio already uttered similar concerns, so FESCo should have
> >dealt with them *before* ratifying the policy. Looking at the IRC log I
> >see there was *zero* discussion but only +1s. (This is how I'd expect a
> >vote in the Communist Party of China but not in Fedora - SCNR)
>
> Quite possibly, yes.

> >> And I could remove a square from the flag and call it a symbol.  Discussing
> >> theoreticals at this point is only going to lead us to more and more absurd
> >> cases.  I don't think we're here to draft policies that cover every possible
> >> situation whether it will ever happen in real life or not.
> >
> >I know I'm just to negative sometimes. I think we always need to be
> >prepared for worst case scenarios, which also includes theoretical
> >questions. Others say that this or that will never happen because we are
> >all in the same boat, but I think history has proven different.
>
> It's a prudent approach.  I find that preparing for the worst case scenario can
> often lead to an entirely sub-optimal normal case scenario though.  A balance
> needs to be achieved.

Agreed, but IMO this balance is missing in this case. Most likely we
have a different POV here.

> >> The original question was about advertising to the users.  So how do we
> >> advertise -docs packages to users, and why isn't that sufficient for -flags?
> >
> >I still think you put it wrong because IMO you are comparing apples and
> >oranges.
> >     1. In a perfect world (TM) there is no need for docs because
> >        everything is self self-explanatory.
>
> In a perfect world, there is no need for flags because humanity is united and
> we have reached utopia.  We don't live in a perfect world.

Even in the Star Trek universe there are still flags ;)

> >     2. At least users *should* not need docs at least none that are not
> >        installed by default. Our -docs packages are mostly targeted at
> >        developers and system administrators.
>
> And our flags packages would be targeted at whom?

Users in free countries.

> >     3. If someone really needs docs, he will realize this himself,
> >        because he is missing knowledge. For flags he doesn't. How is a
> >        deluge user supposed the realize the lack of a function?
>
> Deluge is clearly spelled out in the guideline as not needing flags for
> functionality.  Is that statement incorrect?

Please note the difference between "a function" and "functionality". Of
course the missing flags do not impact the basic function of deluge
which is sharing files, but there is certain functionality missing.
People can no longer see the location of their peers on a quick glance
and have to read instead.

> josh

Regards,
Christoph