Abrt - should this be a feature?

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Fri May 22 13:28:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, 22 May 2009 15:10:33 +0200, Jiri Moskovcak wrote:
> Yes, that is the intention, but for now we simply use debuginfo-install,
>  which really far from optimal solution :-/ If some has better idea how
> to get usefull BT without installing the debuginfo packages it'll be
> more than welcome...

Without any debuginfos still as all the rpms are built using gcc option
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables GDB will print the backtraces correctly but only
with numeric addresses (no function names) and without any function parameters
or local variables printed.

In some specific cases IIRC the backtrace will stop at some point.  These
cases should be fixed and there are just missing bugreports/reproducers for
them.  I do not know of such case offhand myself now, if it did happen at all.

One should also write down build-ids (sort of =NVRs) to be able to later
retrace the numerical backtraces on some debuginfo-featuring server.

Regards,
Jan