FESCo election nominations now open

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Fri May 22 20:48:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 3:27 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Andreas Thienemann <andreas at bawue.net> wrote:
>
> This I believe is the hardest nut to crack with Fedora elections. The
> Fedora Board and FESCo and others think of themselves as being part of
> a meritocracy (at least that is my perception of what they think) but
> at the same time are trying to encourage more widespread democratic
> participation which naturally runs counter to perpetuating the
> meritocracy.

A meritocracy _is_, in a sense, a democracy, so voting limited to a
meritocratic system is not "closed".  Anyone has the right to
participate and thus join the meritocracy -- unless you're implying
that Fedora is preventing users from joining it (and I don't think you
are).

For those who do not have the knowledge, or do not have the time to
contribute, by logical reasoning it follows that they deserve _less_
influence than those who do.

I do not contribute to Fedora, so I do not expect to be given the same
privileges of influence/decision making as someone who actually does
-- e.g., a developer or contributor.  To do otherwise would be
presumptuous and audacious of me.

Absolute democracy in society is based on the loose idea that everyone
is a citizen -- therefore, everyone contributes to society and
deserves a say.  In this sense, you can limit Fedora voting to Fedora
contributors, and the community is still a democracy.