Conflicts not being resolved

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat May 23 10:37:35 UTC 2009

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Conflicts
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Conflicts#Other_Uses_of_Conflicts:

| As a general rule, Fedora packages must NOT contain any usage of the
| Conflicts: field.

| Keep in mind that implicit conflicts are NEVER acceptable.

| If your package conflicts with another package, then you must either
| resolve the conflict, or mark it with Conflicts:.

What happens so far is that packagers simply ignore it.
Again I see bz tickets from Nov 2008 which have not been responded to.

The page doesn't point out that missing "Conflicts" tags are bad.
Implicit conflicts are not detected prior to an RPM transaction check.
Typically, implicit conflicts cause tools like Yum to fail, leaving it
to the user to do the head-scratching and to remove packages manually.