Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue May 26 11:15:23 UTC 2009

On 05/26/2009 12:14 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 05/26/2009 03:38 PM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
>> Smart in GUI-mode and Synaptic currently use the Group tag to, well,
>> group the packages for viewing:
>> http://laiskiainen.org/tmp/smartpm-groups.png.
>
> That's great.
>
> Apt (and smartpm in
>> cli-mode) dont care.
>>
>> Without spec specified Group they all get lumped under "Unspecified" but
>> as the group tags are already wildly inconsistent, full of typos etc...
>> dunno if it's such a big loss.
>
> Yes, the packaging/review guidelines only care about comps grouping and
> not the Group tag. So for many packages, it is pretty arbitrary. I
> guess, we can just lose both build root and group tag to reduce noise.

Can we please not remove the Group tag, it is actually quite usefull.
What we need to remove / loose is comps. Having all this info in a
centralized database is stupid. The spec files should tell which
group(s) the package belongs in. So that when one adds a new package,
this gets done right more or less automatically (and is part of the review).

I actually use a script checking for rpms with the Amusements/Games
group which are not in the comps games group, nor in a blacklist I keep.

Each time I run this, this results in me adding a few games to comps
which people forgot to add.

comps is broken, really it is, this whole central database concept sucks.
I'm not saying the rpm Group tag is the answer, but we should search for
an answer which consists of putting the data inside the spec file.

Regards,

Hans