Removing %clean (Was Re: Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue May 26 19:13:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 03:02:47PM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> Is anyone opposed to that?

Sounds like a very reasonable proposal.

I'll note that <cough>Debian</cough> packages include a minimum
compatible standards (version) number.  The RPM equivalent would I
suppose be something like:

  Min-RPM: 4.4

RPM would check this and refuse to run if its version number was less
than this, and of course older versions of RPM would fail completely
when they see this header[1].

'Course we'd have to educate people not to just remove the header or
diddle around with the version number at random 'until it works'.
Which maybe makes the proposal not completely idiot proof.

Rich.

[1] Or do they ..?  I checked and they give this error:
error: line 7: Unknown tag: Min-RPM:        1.1

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/