gnaughty is a hot babe

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri May 29 14:49:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 16:28 +0200, Dennis J. wrote:
> On 05/29/2009 03:27 PM, Muayyad AlSadi wrote:
> >> Where do you anything about "family values and moralities" in Fedora's mission statement? I see statements about software being free to use,
> >
> > that's why I said us [in ojuba.org] as I'm member of both fedora and ojuba
> >
> > but fedora shouln't make it difficult for us by design, it should give
> > us the choice.
> >
> >> That said, if there are clearly identifiable class of programs that may
> >> be deemed offensive by a large set of people (and *not* governments),
> >> then it would be sensible to mark them so that people can consciously
> >> and *individually* decide to (not) install/remove them or use spins that
> >> explicitly exclude/include them.
> > +1
> >
> > exactly, I did not ask fedora to remove or ban those things, I asked
> > them to make it easy for us to choose
> >
> > I wrote a proposal
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/InappropriateContents
>
> I don't think you can just flag Packages as inappropriate because everyone
> has his own definition for that term. If you really want to make this work
> you'll have to create specific classifications like "nudity" or "violence"
> so people can make informed decisions. People might be ok with violent
> content but not nudity. When I see a Package marked only as "inappropriate"
> that doesn't help me to tell whether *I* would find that inappropriate or not.

Oh what a delightful slippery slope ...

I'll give you a few examples:
in some places a topless is considered totally unacceptable nudity, in
others not so much, what definition do you use (there are subtler shades
of course) ?

In some places a game with people firing at other people with red blood
coming out and all is considered strongly violent, but firing at aliens
with abstract shapes that have green blood not so much, for others
firing at anything is considered violent, what definition do you use ?

For some people some language may be considered inappropriate for
""children"" of age 16, for others a 16 is not a child but simply a
youth already capable of judging use of language, what do you choose ?

For some cultures eating a specific animal is considered an obscenity
while for others it is a perfectly normal daily occurrence, do you
choose to tag such content ?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York