FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri May 1 02:32:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, 01.05.09 02:56, Matthew Garrett (mjg at redhat.com) wrote:

> > This is clearly what our friends at Ubuntu think, given that quite late
> > in their release cycle, they dropped the new gnome-volume-control in
> > favour of gst-mixer *by default* (a much more invasive change than is
> > being proposed here). They made this change on March 3rd, 2009, and have
> > since shipped with it. I haven't seen any complaints about it.
>
> Having been a part of the Ubuntu decision making process, I think using
> Ubuntu as any sort of comparison here weakens the argument. We're
> talking about the distribution that shipped compiz by default 18 months
> ago, desite it clearly being a regression in a huge number of different
> ways.

Also, the comparison with Ubuntu stinks anyway. They had an earlier freeze
than we did. They were looking at an earlier version of the new
g-v-c. And the based their distro on PA 0.9.14, however the new g-v-c
is designed for 0.9.15 which was quite a big update.

After all, it's *we* who do the development. Both Bastien and I follow
the Fedora release cycle for our development. Since Ubuntu is not
doing any development in this area it is very likely that they'll
continue to be a few steps behind us unless they'd sync their releases
to the Fedora releases.

So all in all, comparing Ubuntu and Fedora here is comparing apples
and oranges.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net