FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Sat May 2 10:34:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 21:42 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 08:40:29PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Once upon a time, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> said:
> > > pavucontrol does profile switching, and does it in a very nice way,
> > > thanks to the work done on Pulse during this cycle. But it doesn't do
> > > input switching.
> > >
> > > gnome-volume-control doesn't do profile switching *or* input switching.
> >
> > If pavucontrol existed and worked better, why did we get yet another
> > audio control written from scratch?  Why not just work on one of the
> > many existing ones (like pavucontrol that already knows how to talk to
> > PA)?
>
> I wonder how hard it would be to add input switching to
> pavucontrol...then we could ditch g-v-c and the legacy mixers and keep
> the one pavucontrol that handles all the use cases...

We worked on the new gnome-volume-control because pavucontrol is a "show
all the options underneath" program, just like the ALSA mixers were.

We wrote use cases, we checked what other systems did, and we intend to
present something to the user that's less complicated than showing up
all the knobs PulseAudio offers.

So shipping pavucontrol isn't a solution in itself.