GConf changes in F12

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue May 5 00:39:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 16:58 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 19:47 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > >
> > > Is that what caused the insanely-sized .xml files in libgweather? Or is that
> > > a separate issue?
> >
> > No, the xml files in libgweather are just big on their own, no GConf
> > involved.
>
> I'm guessing this has to do with all the international data in
> libgweather.

No, it's due to immense amounts of redundant data, (all the data is
duplicated for *every* language, none of it is shared) and quite a bit
of XML overhead.

> Is it possible to build this (like we do for openoffice.org with it's
> language packs) so that you only grab the locations you need? And
> assuming your interested in the weather in some location your not, could
> you automate the downloading of the location required?

Since it requires a net connection to get the weather information
*anyway*, this would not be unreasonable.

Still, as I pointed out before, lzma compressing the 76mb of data brings
it down to 1.5mb. It's read-only data, there is simply no reason for it
to be any bigger than that.