Abandon "Default Desktop"

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed May 6 13:11:36 UTC 2009

2009/5/6 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is>:

> I did file a bug against Anaconda a while back ( #493302 ) where I asked for
> the ability to select XFCE, LXDE in the "Desktop Environment" section in
> Anaconda
> and it got closed as a NOTABUG.

We need to have people installing be spending less time in
Anaconda-the-OS (typically run from DVD), not more.  Why?  The main
reason is that in Anaconda-the-OS, you don't have a *web browser*, the
most important tool needed for semi-technical people to try to
understand the tradeoffs between choices thrown at them.  (And also
extremely useful for technical people to interact with e.g. bugzilla).

Basically we should funnel almost all unmanaged users[1] towards a
live image, be that CD or USB based, where you "try before you buy"
and most importantly have a functioning network setup and a web
browser.

> With regards to http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

I don't have a lot to add here on the website aspect that hasn't been
covered already.