182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri May 8 15:45:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 08:12:43AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> That's only if maintainers don't actually take the schedule and
> development effort into consideration, completely ignoring the cycle and
> only having "crap" packages in rawhide at the time of the freeze.  If
> they actually used good development practices, the packages in rawhide
> at the time of the freeze would not be "crap", they would be the
> packages they want in the release, and any changes would be to fix
> unexpected bugs in those packages.

Yes, for gcc, the kernel, glibc and other major components I'd agree.

For new packages, it's surely better to have a new crap package than
no package at all.  After all, a new crap package *might* work for
someone, but a missing package definitely won't.

For packages that not many people use, and the sort of packages I'm
doing (which are for developers who really should know what's what), a
6-month cycle of organized around delivery of a circular piece of
plastic is fairly irrelevant.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v