182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat May 9 01:41:38 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 03:30 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > We were kicking around, in QA, using the same definition currently used
> > for release-critical bugs: anything that can feasibly stop the system
> > booting, stop X working, stop networking working, or stop you being able
> > to update the system (i.e. yum+dependencies) would be 'core'.
>
> Under that definition, everything is core.
>
> Name: foo
> Provides: glibc = 999:9
> Obsoletes: glibc < 999:9
> (plus some assorted fake soname provides to make the depsolving happy)
> breaks your system pretty fast. ^^

I wouldn't consider that a reasonable interpretation. glibc itself
should be part of core, but we can't consider *every* package part of
core just because it could provide glibc.

(On a tangent - can anyone think of any reason why we shouldn't enforce
a rule that no package could provide the actual name of another package?
I can't envisage any scenario where (ab)using Provides in that manner
would be useful, but I may be missing something).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey