best practices for updates in stable releases

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Sat May 9 17:59:35 UTC 2009

On 05/09/2009 01:31 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 18:41 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>
>> What Fedora IMHO needs way more is a written document "best practices
>> for updates in stable releases" that people actually follow.
>>
>> Right now some packages in Fedora get often updated while others don't.
>> That makes no side happy, as those that prefer to get updates to the
>> latest version will sometimes miss them (e.g. the OpenOffice case
>> discussed here might be such a case) while those that don't want them
>> sometimes can't avoid them (e.g. major kernel updates from 2.6.27 to
>> 2.6.29 that fix security bugs). That sucks. Chose a side and then try to
>> stick to it.
>>
>> And sure, the decision when to update or not in the end needs to be done
>> by the package maintainers. There always will be special cases where
>> updates/not to update is the better decision even if the guidelines say
>> something else.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Package_update_guidelines  we have this.  What we don't seem to have is everybody following it.

 I read this - openoffice 3.0 to 3.1 has been a long time in the works
... updating or not would both be consistent with those guidelines .. so
what is your point exactly ?

 Or are trying to argue by obtuse reference?

 The point is, in this case, it may well be a reasonable update .. just
as reasonable decisions have been made for many others.

 It is the maintainers decision - we just don't all have to agree ...
... reasonable people may disagree - but not with pedantry however.