182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun May 10 11:11:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009 12:59:16 +0300, Jussi wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 21:33 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> > On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > > I'll tell you the three reasons I'm pushing stuff directly to stable:
> > >
> > > (1) New package.
> > > [cut]
> >
> > Is it a good practice to push a new package to stable?

No.

> Why not? The purpose of testing is to find out if the package breaks
> something. In the case of a new package there is no functionality of it
> to break;

That's a sign of lack of experience. We've had bad/dangerous Provides,
Obsoletes, SONAME conflicts, which caused buildroot damage, duplicate
packages (with renamed upstream projects) and non-working/completely
broken packages, too.

> the only possibility of getting into trouble is if the package
> itself hasn't been made correctly (clashing file names or so on), which
> should be in any case picked up in the review.

SHOULD.  There is nothing in the guidelines that requires packagers
and reviewers to search for conflicts, however.

Do use updates-testing.