182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon May 11 13:08:49 UTC 2009

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> The basic idea of buildroot protection is good. What doesn't work well so
> far, however, is how the buildroot overrides are executed. A packager
> submits a releng ticket, the request is accepted, the tag gets created,
> the incompatible package enters the buildroots, no announcement is sent,
> danger lies ahead. As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, this has hit
> qtorrent (rb_libtorrent, springlobby) for Fedora 11. The process would
> be much better if (a) all buildroot overrides would be announced in a
> prominent place and (b) marking incompatible packages "stable" in order
> to skip the buildroot override procedure would be forbidden.

+1, we just need to find an appropriate "prominent place", otherwise we'll
flood fedora-devel-announce or even this list.

It has also hit a few packages with Qt 4.5 in F9/F10 updates (even though I
did warn about this issue on fedora-devel-announce! So we also need to make
sure that people read those announcements before submitting builds!) and
almost hit at least one new plasmoid with KDE 4.2.3 in F9, F10 and F11
updates (thankfully, the issue of the plasmoid not working in 4.2.2 came up
in #fedora-kde on IRC and the maintainer canceled the push request directly
to stable, and I also warned the maintainer of a second plasmoid which was
headed for testing just to make sure he's aware of what's going on; both
are now headed for testing together with KDE 4.2.3).

        Kevin Kofler