Downgrading Firefox 3.5 and Thunderbird 3.0

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 11 18:15:17 UTC 2009

> OK, first off, why in $DEITY's name are we including Firefox 3.5b4 and
> Thunderbird 3.0b2 in Fedora 11? These are unstable branches of the
> browser and email client, and as such are supported by almost none of
> the myriad of extensions available for the 3.0 and 2.0 versions,
> respectively.
>
> I was more than a little disappointed when I upgraded my laptop to the
> F11 Preview to discover that only two out of seven of my Thunderbird
> extensions and three of my thirteen Firefox extensions remained functional.
>
> I understand that Fedora is a development OS, and I think it's a great
> idea to have a firefox35 package and a thunderbird30 package, but these
> SHOULD NOT be the defaults.

As a very heavy user of both Firefox and Thunderbird, the pre-releases
have been substantial improvements for me over the "stable" versions.
Even RHEL 5.3 included a "beta" release of Firefox, remember? I trust
that the maintainers have assessed the stability and considered the
advantages as worth the cost of losing some extensions for the short run
and I agree with that decision.

Rahul