SPARC Status (Was Re: Secondary Architecture Status?)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon May 11 18:51:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Adam Miller <maxamillion at gmail.com> wrote:
> I completely agree with everything posted by Spot and I (nor I assume
> anyone) am aware of what Oracle's game plan is but they have announced
> that they are planning to put more money into SPARC.

When dealing with anything with Oracle.. one has to look at where the
money is. Oracle will say a lot of things but what they do will be
what gets Larry Ellison another yacht.  [I say this because this quote
seems very close to their Oracle focusing on building its own browser,
and other items]. My guess is that Oracle will focus on getting
Fujitsu dealing with Sparc and working on Solaris for it. The
operative quote on it is "[Apple and Cisco] enjoy very high-margins
because they do a good job of designing their hardware and software to
work together." I do not see this as a we will help Linux compete on
it.

> http://www.osnews.com/story/21458/Oracle_To_Invest_in_SPARC_Wants_to_Be_Like_Apple_Cisco
>
> This would be nice because we could (hopefully) see some SPARC
> workstations come back into play allowing people to become interested
> in and contribute to the project once more. Don't know that it would
> give the architecture enough of a user base to make it an applicable
> architecture again, but its at least something I think should be
> watched as time goes on.
>
> -Adam
>

> --
> http://maxamillion.googlepages.com