182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon May 11 20:36:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 16:18 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> In the desktop context packages get upgraded when PackageKit notices
> new stuff and the user starts downloading it.  What was originally on
> the CD is mostly irrelevant.

Except when you can't actually get to the desktop or use the update tool
because it's the F10 version that doesn't work with the rest of the F11
content.  If you've waited a while and have newer F10 packages than
what's on the F11 media you'll have a system in a fragile undefined
state.

> >> For upgrades we should be pushing people towards preupgrade.  If
> >> preupgrade works well, I'm having trouble thinking of scenarios in
> >> which you'd end up with a physical image and want to do an upgrade.
> >> Maybe if you're out of disk space you'd need physical media to
> >> download the updates on to, but there's also no reason preupgrade
> >> couldn't prompt you to insert a USB stick or blank CD.
> >
> > preupgrade requires a significant network cost.
>
> Sure, but how did you get that CD in the first place?  I'm having
> trouble thinking of scenarios where somehow you acquire a CD that you
> didn't download yourself, but you already have Fedora installed, and
> you don't have access to enough network bandwidth to upgrade.

Free media, Linux shows, LUGs, a friend's computer, a library, etc...
There is a not insignificant amount of our user base that is bandwidth
challenged.  While it would be easy to just tell them to go find another
distribution that is more friendly to their setup, I don't think that's
what we should do.

> Anyways the angle I'm coming at here is that Fedora should be
> producing only a few live images and things like Richard Jones'
> minimal image, not the choose-your-own-adventure DVD.

How is the "minimal image" not a choose your own adventure?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!