OpenOffice 3.1

Naheem Zaffar naheemzaffar at gmail.com
Tue May 12 23:36:45 UTC 2009

2009/5/13 Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>

> I don't recommend Fedora to Aunt Flo, I wouldn't install Fedora on
> systems owned by my personal Aunt Flo's (come on, everyone has some.
> Mine get Mandriva. Or, frankly, Windows. Yours might get Ubuntu. Doesn't
> matter.) I think that's fine. We don't need to be everything to
> everyone. But as long as we're going to wind up with an update system
> which allows anything but minimal fixes to be pushed as official
> updates, Fedora isn't going to be for Aunt Flo, and we need to be up
> front about that. We need to tell people that, if they want a quiet
> life, if they're installing on a non-geek friend's system, if they're
> running a server, they should use something more appropriate to their
> goals. And any argument on this list (or anywhere else) which relies on
> Aunt Flo-type users to support it should be shot down with extreme
> prejudice. Basically, if we're not caring about Aunt Flo, we should be
> consistent about that. :)

But that is not always the case though - Even Ubuntu with its conservative
updates policy has suffered by the addition of new bugs in them, and the
users also suffer for existing bugs which are not fixed by bugfix updates.

The "fedora way" may seem more cavalier from the outset and also has a
greater chance to introduce instability, however it can also result in a
*more stable* distribution over its life time.

(as for bikeshedding being pointless, I remember an individual coming on
here and bikeshedding about how the GUI software manager should work. I even
ignored the discussion as I thought the concept of it preposterous. Move
forward a couple of years and frontend package management (in Fedora atleast
- I do not use other distributions but I assume they have not drunk the
packagekit coolaide as deeply) has been improved far beyond the capabilities
I imagined it would ever go. What is important is to try to get the
complainers to scratch their own itch and if the itch affects enough people,
it will be sufficiently scratched.)