Fedora (Linux) is Destroying it self

James M. Leddy jleddy at redhat.com
Wed May 13 21:26:40 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> nodata (lsof at nodata.co.uk) said:
>>> If you were interested in writing one I think that would be most welcome
>>> and responded to warmly.
>> Last time I asked, I was told that no such cli interface existed, and
>> that it was planned. I have no real life experience of using this tool,
>> nor how it fits into the big picture. I too would welcome an article,
>> but I'm not the right person to write it.
>
> There is currently cnetworkmanager, written by an OpenSUSE developer.
> However, it's python, and therefore may not be suitable for *all*
> command-line/console-based usage (specifically, I'd love ifup/ifdown
> to be able to kick NM if it's running to DTRT, but I don't intend to
> require python to do so). I suspect a C/C++ version will be
> written if someone has the time/inclination.

I did start a C version (for a very short time, I gave up after just
listing the networks).  If anyone is actually interested in pursuing
this I may be able to start up again, depending on motivation.

http://nm-cli.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nm-cli/src/

It's about 17 months old, I doubt it works.

Regarding topic, though I agree that a number of his points are
invalid, in general things are almost getting automated to the point
where they are confusing.  For example, for a while ago udev scripts
were calling ifconfig down on interfaces, and I had to explain to a
friend of mine why this was happening (at the time, I didn't even know
it was udev but suspected it).  Another time I saw talk of using udev
to start initscritps (bluetooth iirc), and though i don't object to
this is if is done in some standardized way with a framework set
around it, the way it was being hacked out for F11 seemed backwards
(usually initscripts load modules) and actually made me cringe.

I actually don't object to "doing the right thing" (desktop control of
mounting media, bluetooth, keyboards etc...), but it must be done in a
way that doesn't confound a large percentage of long time linux users.

--
James M. Leddy

Technical Account Manager
Red Hat Inc.