Sound doesn't work, again!

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun May 17 18:35:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 13:31 -0400, David wrote:
>> But I wish, for his sake, that he was not having this problem on his
>> production machine because *I still think Rawhide on a critical, must
>> have machine is not a good idea.*
>
> Guys, I appreciate the concern, but this is missing the point.
> I have explained already why I couldn't run F9/F10, and why I
> upgraded to F11.
>
> For me sound is a critical issue, and due to untold number of
> problems in F8, I decided to risk it and move over to F11 Beta.

Ok look at it this way. You mention you have had problems with Sound
since FC3. Has this been the same hardware? If it has been, then I
would seriously look at the hardware. A lot of customer sound problems
I have dealt with ended up being bad speakers, bad cables to speakers,
bad power supplies to speakers, bad connectors on the back of sound
card, etc. Others were sound card drivers, a couple of cards that
needed new firmware, and a lot of "it says its an XYZ card" but it
turns out it is a badly implemented XYZ card.

You have also had problems before PulseAudio was involved... so laying
it at PulseAudio's steps is a bit strong. Did you try setting it up
without PulseAudio? Did it work fine then for the extended amount of
time you say (eg 24+hours)? If then, yes its a problem. If no, then we
need to look at what is really the problem.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux