Sound doesn't work, again!

David dgboles at comcast.net
Sun May 17 23:40:14 UTC 2009

On 5/17/2009 2:15 PM, Dimi Paun wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 13:31 -0400, David wrote:
>> But I wish, for his sake, that he was not having this problem on his
>> production machine because *I still think Rawhide on a critical, must
>> have machine is not a good idea.*
>
> Guys, I appreciate the concern, but this is missing the point.
> I have explained already why I couldn't run F9/F10, and why I
> upgraded to F11.

Ahhh... I remember you name know. It's been a while since you posted that.

> For me sound is a critical issue, and due to untold number of
> problems in F8, I decided to risk it and move over to F11 Beta.
>
> Please try to see that _if_ I waited until F11 Final, the
> sound problems that I reported would not have been fixed.
>
> The works-on-no-doesn't-work sound problems have been a constant
> in my experience with Fedora, ever since F3 (while running only
> release versions, never betas until now)!
>
> By focusing on the fact that this is F11 Beta and not Final we
> are ignoring the elephant in the room. We all know that this is
> very close to what will be released as final anyway, and in fact
> a lot of the problems I am seeing are not reasonably fixable until
> release day.
>
> I am just trying to raise awareness that there is a major problem
> with the way we approach sound in Fedora, and we need to reevaluate
> the situation. And by this I don't mean "dump PA". I think Lennart
> is a very capable developer, and I appreciate his efforts. However
> I think the development focus for PA can use some rethinking.

And I agree with you that you do have a problem. What it is I do not
know. But it might have something to do with you update from Fedora 8.
Much has changed since then. In Fedora and I would think your install.

May I suggest that you keep up with your Bugzilla report. *However* you
might not see anything until after the Fedora 11 release. Only a week to
go I would imagine that everyone is very busy. BTW there is always, has
been in the past, a flood of updates that did not make it into the ISOs.
Perhaps then you will see something encouraging.

Best of luck.
--

  David