Package Maintainers Flags policy

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Tue May 19 06:20:47 UTC 2009

On Monday 18 May 2009 22:38:45 Björn Persson wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > It shall be noted that many users complained about flags being removed
> > (they expect the keyboard layout chooser to use them), and the current
> > solution where -flags is optional and not installed by default isn't very
> > helpful either (but better than not having them at all).
>
> To me it would seem more reasonable to install the flags by default. Then
> the anti-whatever extremists could just remove them, and the more relaxed
> among us would see the user interface the way the authors intended without
> jumping through additional hoops.
>
> To make it easy to remove all flags there could be a ban-flags package that
> would conflict with all the -flags subpackages.
>
> Björn Persson

+1, IMO flags should be installed by default.
removing flags by default is definitely overreaction

Fedora should be FREE

If someone "really" needs to remove flags, we should provide easy way to
remove/don't install flags, which are installed by default for people living in
free world.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
----  Benjamin Franklin

(I was looking for log of fesco meeting, who is a freedom fighter here and
who'll get my vote next time.... no one, that's sad...)