Ongoing mass rebuild on s390x

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Tue May 19 14:28:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are at least three of us that happily offer ssh access to ppc/ppc64
> machines.  While that isn't the same as having one sitting in front of you,
> it does work for a large number of problems.  So it's not exactly the same :).

Yes, and I took advantage of that to get GCL working on ppc [1].
Thank you all very much.  It's unfortunate that the same cannot be
done for s390x.  I could never have done the necessary ppc debugging
by perusing build logs, at least not in a reasonable amount of time,
so I am not inclined to even try for s390x.  This means that GCL will
probably just stay broken on that arch.

Footnotes:
[1] However, it doesn't work on ppc64 now, and likely never will.  The
way GCL builds images is fundamentally at odds with the way the ppc64
BFD library works.  If we have any ppc64 linker experts amongst us,
perhaps you could join me on the GCL mailing list so we can talk the
issues over.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/